Thursday, March 26, 2009

Jason Miller, Performing Arts Principal

Jason Miller is the Principal, for lack of a better word to describe his role, of a Performing Arts High School that I had the chance to shoot recently. I have had the chance to shoot Jason's wife Josie in the past, she is the director of their theatre company and Jason doubles as the Lighting Director.

I shot Jason with  a 430ex up high directly behind him. It was snooted with a home-made black straw grid. The grid really helped to keep the spread of the light narrow which creates that spotlight-theatrical feel when shooting directly into it.
The rest of the shot was taken care of with another 430ex this time in a large shoot thru umbrella.
The metering on this shot was a departure from my normal methods....I usually stick it all on manual....camera, flashes, everything....this time I gave Ettl a chance....mainly because I have been experimenting with the high speed sync capabilities of the 430ex's when slaved from the master 580ex.

No comments: