Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Blood Diamond...How to shoot a girl in a car.



The art-director called me at 9.15 on Friday night, the day after the deadline....."You know that story we talked about last week for the next issue", Yes, I replied...."Well we need you to shoot it tomorrow morning and its going to be the new cover story"......"I'll need you to have it to me in the afternoon"..."The writer has her contact info and is going to interview her after the shoot"...."Give him a call"

So a quick call to him revealed that she had been living in her car in L.A. and had given herself two more days at her acting dreams before she was going to quit. Fortunately she got a call to work with Leonardo DiCaprio and Djimon Honsou in Blood Diamond.

Her name is Benu Mabhena and thats not her car.

Another call...this time to the Cadillac wrecking yard...
"Hey can I shoot a girl in one of your cars tomorrow"
........"HUH".....
"I mean can I photograph an actress in one of your cars tomorrow"
"Is she hot"
"Yes"
"Then OK"

After that it was cake.....Throw up a white seamless behind the car.....shoot with the door open for that lovely subdued daylight look.....leave some space for the masthead and some text...barcode goes in the bottom left corner....







No comments: